Frequently Asked Questions
Below, you'll find some of our Frequently Asked Questions. If you can't find an answer to your specific questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.
Do I need a visa to study in Paris with LLA?
US citizens may come to France for eighty nine days or less without a visa. Non-US citizens are responsible for checking with their embassy on their ability to enter the European Union/France, as they may need special visas or must fulfill other requirements.
What are the passport requirements for studying in Paris with LLA?
Your passport should not expire within ninety (90) days of your trip to France.
What if I have medical concerns?
LLA highly recommends that you visit your physician prior to enrolling. Be sure to discuss being away for about a month and to plan ahead for any medications or conditions with your doctors.
Can we offer our parents a session with LLA for their anniversary?
Of course! Just contact us and we will be happy to make all the necessary arrangements so that they can celebrate this very special occasion - in Paris.
I really love Paris. Could I come to Paris for two sessions - or even three?
Of course! Contact us and we will be happy to make special arrangements just for you!
I really want to improve my French. Can I take more than 9 hours of French classes?
Mais oui, yes! You can take the twenty hour hour option at the Alliance Française for a supplement, just click on the basket More French? More French! when you go through the check-out line!
Do I have to speak French already to come?
Not at all! Lifelong Learning Abroad is all about starting fresh and anew. The Alliance Française has all levels of classes - from absolute beginners to speakers who just need to fine tune their French skills.
I don't speak French. What if a pipe bursts in my apartment or the electricity goes out? What will I do?
We speak French and have a 24 hour a day Emergency Phone just for these purposes. You call us, and we will take care of the issue.
What should I pack?
Once you have signed up, LLA will provide you with a Pre-departure Pack, filled with useful information about packing, the calendar of events and other such important information and details.
What if I slip or require emergency care? What about insurance?
Contact the LLA Emergency Phone and we will help you get the emergency care you need right away. The hospital may bill you upon departure, and you can submit that bill to your insurance company for reimbursement. Consult with your insurers to guarantee that your policies will cover you while travelling abroad. French medical care costs much less than it does in the US; you will most likely be able to pay the costs with your credit card, or even with the cash in your pocket.
Why is there a security deposit?
The security deposit safeguards agencies and owners in case of any unexpected damages in your apartment. It will be returned to you within sixty days of your official checkout.
Costs | What's Included
What exactly is included in the Classic Session?
• Tuition & instructional materials for local institutions & Documenting Paris workshops
• A round trip transfer from a Paris airport (or train station) to Paris housing
• A local Paris mass transportation pass for the duration of the LLA program
• Cultural Visits: Professional guide and any entrance costs to museums/monuments.
• The Documenting Paris Workshop Series
• Five group meals (does not include alcohol outside a prix fixe menu)
• Application and administration fees
• On-site program direction & services by LLA
What is not included in the Classic Session?
• Round trip airfare to Paris
• Meals not mentioned above
• Passport fees (approx. $100)
• Visa fees for non-U.S. citizens
• Personal travel & expenses in or outside of Paris
• Recommended physical check-up by your medical professional pre-departure
Apartments | Housing
What should I expect in terms of housing during my time with LLA Paris?
At LLA, one of our most important responsibilities is finding you your home in Paris. We have been housed professionals in Paris for many years and so we know that you need a clean apartment in the right neighborhood. You need an elevator, fresh linens, reliable Wifi, and a comfortable place to work.
What is the LLA policy on cancellations?
When cancelling, clients must notify Lifelong Learning Abroad in writing. As we commit to local institutions and housing providers quickly upon application, some costs are non-refundable. In the event that a client must withdraw from a Lifelong Learning Abroad session for unanticipated health or personal reasons, certain costs are refundable:
- Up until 61 days prior to the official program arrival date, all payments and security deposits are fully refundable;
- 60-31 days prior to program arrival date, security deposits and any recuperable losses will be refunded;
- Withdrawal 30 days or less before the session arrival date: at this late withdrawal period, all fees will have been fully committed, and no refunds are possible, however, LLA will seek in good faith to refund any recuperable funds.
If I must leave the program early, will I receive a refund?
There are unfortunately no refunds for early departures.
If you do not see what you are looking for, please contact us!
If you would like to do something special while you are here, let us know! We will do our best to arrange it for you!
Any other questions? Contact us!